Though the National Trail and English Heritage maintain The Wall and Path, each person visiting the monument must take care to protect the fragile environment and easily-damaged archaeology. To help us remember that “every footstep counts,” World Heritage asks that people:
- Not walk on the wall
- Take litter home
- Follow signposted paths
- Walk side by side
- Keep gates closed
- Control the dog
- Use public transport
- Support local businesses
- Consider circular walks and Roman site visits instead of The Path
- Avoid worn patches on the trail.
Following these guidelines will help protect this World Heritage site. For those who would like to help look after the wall, I suggest the following sites.
- The National Trail: http://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/hadrians-wall-path
- English Heritage: http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/daysout/hadrianswall/
- Hadrian’s Wall Country: http://hadrianswallcountry.co.uk/hadrians-wall/current-digs